National Academy of Design
New York, NY
The National Academy of Design (NAD) is a prominent honorary society for visual artists and architects. Each year, new National Academicians are inducted into the NAD’s membership by their peers to honor the incoming group’s superlative contributions to American art and architecture. As the NAD approaches its bicentennial, the institution is working with DVDL DD to gain a better understanding of the present cultural landscape, forecast how it is poised to change in the coming years, and develop a series of future scenarios—all in a highly collaborative manner.
In detail, these plans are established through a two-phase process, conducted by DVDL DD. Phase One is a Context Analysis phase, which includes extensive internal and external stakeholder workshops and interviews to gain a basic understanding of NAD’s needs, as well as peer review research and substantial cultural forecasting. In Phase Two, DVDL DD is working with the NAD’s leadership to develop an institutional framework to facilitate the recommendations defined in Phase One.
– Intuitive assessments from a cultural and institutional context
– Horizon scans with qualitative and quantitative research and context interpretation
– Future scenarios and impact assessment
– Extensive visioning exercise process
– Peer Review Research
– Research workshops and events with internal and external stakeholders
– Program development (including mission and planning development)